Sunday, June 05, 2011

Dusting out the computer

I've finally gotten around to taking apart my desktop computer to check the dust build-up just a few hours ago. Cleaning is always a slog, but this wasn't that bad.

The first time I got to cleaning out the insides of my computer was about a year ago, and that ended up being a dusty mess. There were  literally dust balls the size of my fist hidden inside the computer parts,  clogging up the slots and most importantly, blocking the ventilation holes.

Imagine this dustball, multiplied by infinity, and you've got a potent mix for a sneezing marathon. Oh, and also the trapped heat could fry your computer.

Ever since my Pentium 4 computer died from overheating due to the insane amount of dust (and also due to a failing hard drive), I've decided to atleast take apart  my current computer every time the school holidays come along, and check if everything's still working properly. It's time I got the screwdriver and tissues out, once again.

Removal of the screws from the back of the processor.

One the side metal panels, with the ventilation area covered with dust.
Another side panel.

The interior. Thank goodness for cable ties.

Power supply.

Hard-drive covered with dust.

Fan for the graphics card. The heatsink below the fan was filled with dust, couldn't entirely clean it out.












I thought I almost broke it when I yanked out my 2GB ram module to have a closer look at the part numbers. 


Well, 2 hours later, my computer is now back up and running. The grinding noise from the internals has gone away, and so far everything looks  good. Now, if only I can get my hands on a Kingston 2GB KVR667D2N5/2G...

64-bit os? Maybe :)

No comments: